Friday, July 29, 2011

Flaky Pie Crust

Good morning!

We ended up going grocery shopping last night so I have a bunch of goodies for you all today!
The first on the list being my Flaky Pie Crust recipe 
*Note: I use vegetable shortening because it's more forgiving than butter but feel free to use butter if you're feeling courageous!! I usually save the butter crusts for winter when I know the butter wont melt as much.*


Flaky Pie Crust
Yield: 2 Shells

2 Cups pastry or all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar 
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
6-7 tablespoons ice cold water (I use about 6 1/2)

1. Mix the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.

2. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or fingertips until the pieces are the size of small peas.
         -At this point, if you wish, you may make what is called a "mealy" crust. In bakeries, mealy pie crust is used for the bottom crust in fruit pies. It is also used for custard or "soft" type pies. To make a mealy (fine) textured crust, cut the shortening into the flour until it is the size of coarse corn meal.

3. Make a well in the dry mixture, pour in the ice cold water and toss gently with a fork to form "baseball size" lumps of pie dough. Be careful to wet all dough, but do not over-work. Remove the ball of dough and set aside;  continue making balls of dough, using more ice water if necessary.

4. Wrap dough individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 20minutes. Each dough should be enough to make one shell layer.



This morning I made a double batch of this recipe. 
I am going to make a chicken pot pie tonight and a quiche at some point this weekend.
I try to make pie crust at least a few hours in advance I find that working with well chilled dough is the best.
And later this afternoon i'll get to use my new rolling pin for the first time <3 Hooray!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment